[getdns-api] user defined allocators

Wiley, Glen gwiley at verisign.com
Wed Aug 21 04:04:04 MST 2013

As we are working on our implementation of the getdns API I realized that there doesn't seem to be a way for the helper functions that handle the dict and list types to get to the user defined allocator.  The allocator is specified in a context, however the signatures of the helper functions do not accept a context as an argument.  There are a few ways to address this:

  1.  Add a context as an argument to the helper functions.  This is probably the least disruptive to the rest of the API.
  2.  Change the way a user defined allocator is defined.  It is likely that the application developer would expect to use the same allocator throughout the application so it may be enough to make an assignment outside a context as an initialization step.

I am sure that there are other options, but I think approach #2 would be a comfortable way to handle this.

--
Glen Wiley
KK4SFV