[getdns-api] Question regarding "just_address_records"

Despeaux, Craig cedespeaux at verisign.com
Fri Dec 13 15:11:49 MST 2013

I am currently creating unit tests for the getdns API.  I discovered today that when I called getdns_general_sync() with name = "google.com" and request_type = GETDNS_RRTYPE_A that the top level of the replies tree contained the "just_address_records" list, which contained all of the A records that were returned in the ANSWER section.  However, the spec contains the following statement, which indicates to me that this shouldn't be included in the response for getdns_general_sync() call:

If the call was getdns_address or getdns_address_sync, the top level of replies_tree has an additional name, just_address_answers (a list). The value of just_address_answers is a list that contains all of the A and AAAA records from the answer sections of any of the replies, in the order they appear in the replies.

I brought this to Neel Goyal's attention who said it probably doesn't matter but suggested posing this question to the mailing list, and here we are.

Thanks,
Craig
"This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is non-public, proprietary, privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law or may be constituted as attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, notify sender immediately and delete this message immediately."