[getdns-api] 0.268 srv_addresses not useful

Andrew Sullivan asullivan at dyn.com
Fri Feb 1 08:01:32 MST 2013

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 05:18:58PM -0500, Phil Pennock wrote:
> srv_addresses_all is available, by some name, it's useful and my lack of
> ability to see a use for the other is not a reason to block it, if
> someone else wants it and the API designer is happy it fits into the
> overall aesthetic.

I think this is an important guiding principle in this work.  The
history of things like getaddrinfo is plainly full of decisions that
started from, "Can we think of a use someone actually needs for this?"
and, if the answer was no, the functionality was left out.  In my
opinion, this was a mistake, because it makes certain kinds of things
simply too hard without being a DNS weenie.  (And, of course, it makes
some things impossible.)

Best,

--
Andrew Sullivan