[getdns-api] async comments (0.268)

William Chan (陈智昌) willchan at chromium.org
Wed Feb 6 10:47:33 MST 2013

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 2:32 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 12:17 PM, William Chan (陈智昌) <willchan at chromium.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> Just a few more points of information.
>>
>> This is our old code that we're working on killing off. It uses
>> getaddrinfo(). We've written our own async stub resolver that we're
>> slowly rolling out, and will hopefully eventually kill this
>> getaddrinfo() based code.
>

> That sounds like the right approach.
>
> What does the current API to that code look like?

http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome/trunk/src/net/dns/dns_transaction.h?view=markup

It's OOP-based, and far simpler because it doesn't (yet) try to
provide all the functionality that is specified in the getdns() API.
As you can see, you create a DNS transaction object. You construct it
with the input parameters, and then call the asynchronous Start()
member function. It can synchronously return an error or
asynchronously complete.

This API is clearly not suitable for y'all since it's C++ based, but
we don't foresee issues writing a C++ wrapper around a getdns() API
like the current proposal, if we so desired.

Btw, I don't really want to make the Chromium API a focus of this
discussion. I just wanted to offer some clarifying information.