[getdns-api] "name" as passed to getdns() et al

Ray Bellis Ray.Bellis at nominet.org.uk
Mon Jan 21 09:49:00 MST 2013

Hi Paul,

One thing I see in the API is that "name" is in human readable format.

This would make it impossible to look up any name where a label contains an embedded "."

It's also technically possible to have an embedded NUL in a label, which isn't friendly to C-style "char *" strings.

I don't know what the right "fix" would be, just pointing out a potential design flaw.

Other APIs I've seen require labels like these to be encoded as if they were in "master file format".  Similarly, the RDATA output from some libraries (e.g. dnsjava) also appear in that format.

kind regards,

Ray