[getdns-api] some early API comments

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Tue Jan 22 10:18:11 MST 2013

On Jan 22, 2013, at 9:07 AM, Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) <jhildebr at cisco.com> wrote:

>> More substantively: embedded systems, in particular, may find it desirable
>> not to replicate code or work, and may wish to full advantage of a local
>> cache;
>
> Those systems will be p0wnd through the DNS channel with trivial amounts
> of work.

Evan: you seem to be hoping that this API will solve a problem that the DNSEXT WG has not been willing to deal with for many years. If so, your hope is misplaced. If that problem can be addressed *in a way that is easy and clear to application developers*, I'm happy to do so, and am still looking at the question. However, if the method of doing that is complicated in the current DNS environment, it will be relegated to the context part of this API and thus will continue to go pretty much unused.

--Paul Hoffman