[getdns-api] On partitioning the API into "common" and "uncommon"

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Tue Jan 22 11:46:26 MST 2013

On Jan 22, 2013, at 9:57 AM, Ray Bellis <Ray.Bellis at nominet.org.uk> wrote:

> I have a concern over the idea that "unusual" options would be supported via options supplied in the context object.
>
> Since the API is by definition asynchronous, IMHO "per-request" options simply don't belong in the context object, which would be shared being multiple outstanding requests.

Good point. So, let's assume that I might make this an extension instead. How do document it so that typical application developers don't see it and get concerned or confused, but the few who need it find it? Would it make sense for this document to have the main body be "extensions typical application programmers care about" and an appendix of "more extensions, plus all that context stuff"?

> BTW, have you looked at "libunbound", which wraps pretty much the whole of the Unbound recursive resolver in an API?

Yes. Application developers I spoke with said it was too heavyweight for what they wanted, and didn't address their typical usage patterns.

> I suspect it's somewhat more heavyweight (and hence more complicated) than you desire for your own API design, but it's worth a look just to see what sort of features may be desired.

Yes and yes.

--Paul Hoffman