[getdns-api] Capability and version checking

Phil Pennock getdns-api-phil at spodhuis.org
Mon Jan 28 18:08:05 MST 2013

On 2013-01-28 at 16:14 -0800, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> On Jan 28, 2013, at 3:22 PM, Phil Pennock <getdns-api-phil at spodhuis.org> wrote:
>
> > I hadn't noticed: the API doesn't have a capability or version query
> > interface.
>
> It has both. See the return_ap_information extension in Section 3.5.

Oh, there it is, sorry.  :-(  I even commented on this before.  Brain
meltdown.

I'm not seeing guaranteed compile-time constants for detecting
compile-vs-runtime differences?

Should the API guarantee that a query with "return_ap_information" set
to GETDNS_EXTENSION_TRUE will get a response with that data, even for
something like a query for an empty string, or a NULL pointer as the
name field?  When I do a check at start-up, it might be before a user
privilege transition, so a stable query guaranteed to not hit the wire
is helpful.

-Phil