[getdns-api] 0.268 srv_addresses not useful

Phil Pennock getdns-api-phil at spodhuis.org
Thu Jan 31 12:56:22 MST 2013

On 2013-01-31 at 13:38 -0500, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> That is my understanding of the SRV specification.
>
> I don't think it makes sense but it isn't the job of this group to change
> it.

Notably, the fix Paul will make will support what I suspect you think
makes sense too.

Each application protocol is free to override the default specification
of how SRV records should be used.

If the getdns-api provides something that provides a fully presorted
list, then an app which needs to just use one SRV record at each
priority can easily walk the list, skipping while current-priority is
the same as previous-priority.  There's a little extra logic in doing a
full sorting for results which are then discarded, but it's small enough
that avoiding writing full DNS parsing from scratch as a benefit
outweighs the cost.

So fixing this supports the spec use-case and the other most obviously
sane usage, which sounds like an API win to me.

-Phil