[getdns-api] Request for DNS updates

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 07:08:23 MST 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 9:29 AM, Hugo Salgado <hsalgado at nic.cl> wrote:
> On 03/11/2013 05:41 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
>> request for the capability to do DNS updates.  The specific use case is
>> large domain hosting providers that want to be able to insert DKIM keys
>> and ADSP policies (preferably signed) into the DNS via an API rather
>> than via zone file updates.  I can try to come up with a suggested API
>
> And what about dynamic updates? RFC 2136 and 3007.
>
> Hugo

Developing a client API for those would be non trivial. The credential
model supported at present is designed to support the use case in
which an administrator of a domain can request updates be made to an
authoritative server.

That model worked fine when it was proposed when a DNS domain and a
host were the same thing.

It works much less well in the era of virtualization and cloud
computing where there can be many hosts updating the records and they
can come and go over time. And that is a big problem because the use
cases that would drive demand for an API are going to be doing just
that.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/