[getdns-api] Priming the cache

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Thu Mar 14 06:51:34 MST 2013

On 3/14/13 7:54 AM, "Paul Hoffman" <paul.hoffman at vpnc.org> wrote:

>Looking back on Murray's initial request, I think I'm going to agree with
>Wil that this feature isn't that useful if it can't be relied on. The use
>case is only valid if the system is not connected to the Internet. If the
>system *is* connected to the Internet, you can prime the cache simply by
>doing those requests first.

The use case *is* useful if connected to the network.  There may be
application-layer ways to get DNS-like data from non-DNS sources.  For
example, I'd like to see this sort of thing added to aggsrv one day, so I
don't have to do any more network round-trips than absolutely necessary.
I might even decide to treat such data as if it had be DNSSEC secured.  At
that point, one of the most expedient mechanisms for implementors would be
to just shove the data into the local cache along with good TTL info, and
to modify the connection logic that already calls getdns.

--
Joe Hildebrand