[getdns-api] user defined allocators

Wiley, Glen gwiley at verisign.com
Fri Sep 20 11:26:25 MST 2013

Willem, Well written. Would there really be a need for "custom" helpers for non-trivial data types?  I think we could use the system allocator in the library routines as a default, if the user registers a new allocator then allocations would be made using that allocator.

In order to avoid silliness that might ensue if a custom allocator is set after allocations are made custom allocators must be registered as part of an initialization routine or prior to calling any other library entry points.  We could set a flag to detect that public entry points have been called and return FAIL if the user attempts to set a custom allocator.

I think we almost have to follow this approach to avoid cases in which we are creating non-trivial data types within the library routines – unless we want to explicitly detect whether an allocator has been registered every time we create one of the data types.

--
Glen Wiley
KK4SFV