[getdns-api] return_api_information and return_call_debugging extensions

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Tue Feb 18 14:59:44 MST 2014

On Feb 18, 2014, at 1:09 PM, Goyal, Neel <ngoyal at verisign.com> wrote:

> In looking at the api and debugging extensions (Section 3.6), I wanted to
> get the group opinion on a couple of items.
>
> - What do you think about removing the return_api_information extension
> altogether and making this a synchronous call on the context itself?
> Something like struct getdns_dict*
> getdns_context_get_api_information(context);  This information feels like
> it belongs in its own call rather than within a query (which seems even
> stranger if it was asynchronous).

Calling it a "helper function" would make it more palatable to the strongly async folks.

There was some reason that we made this an extension, but I'm forgetting it now. Making it a helper function seems fine.

> - The return_call_debugging extension has a "query_to" field which is the
> address to which the query was sent.  In the case of recursive mode, would
> this just be the root server contacted, or would it make more sense to be
> a list of servers hit (or none if it was fetched from cache)?

That's a good question, and I don't think we thought of it. I would support the latter.

--Paul Hoffman