[getdns-api] Dependencies with getdns

Marc Groeneweg marc at nimago.nl
Fri Feb 28 05:24:31 MST 2014

Dear all,

I am happy and pleased to see an effort being done to get a DNS API with
inclusion of DNSSEC. In the past I have put some effort in showing the
world, that it is possible to get DNSSEC support within an iOS app. This
effort is cumbersome to maintain, Œcause it uses components like OpenSSL,
libldns and libunbound.

With the public release of getdns 0.1.0 I was excited to see what it is, and
found out that it uses the same dependencies I found cumbersome to maintain
on iOS. Especially the build process for libunbound involves direct
compilation with ldns for any given architecture for iOS (and there are
normally at least 2: i386 based simulator, and one of the ARM
architectures). I would like to get static libraries for each dependency and
link to these libraries for each architecture. I assume it is my own
shortcoming I cannot achieve this, but I would like to address this one
before I go ahead, and try to get getdns on any iOS device.

Regards,
Marc Groeneweg