[getdns-api] getdns-api review - no brainers sections 2.2, 2.3, 2.6, 2.7

Wiley, Glen gwiley at verisign.com
Thu Jan 30 07:45:44 MST 2014

I agree with those sections you cited – I think they make the code cleaner and more robust.
--
Glen Wiley
KK4SFV

From: <Goyal>, Neel <ngoyal at verisign.com<mailto:ngoyal at verisign.com>>
Date: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 3:11 PM
To: "getdns-api at vpnc.org<mailto:getdns-api at vpnc.org>" <getdns-api at vpnc.org<mailto:getdns-api at vpnc.org>>
Subject: [getdns-api] getdns-api review - no brainers sections 2.2, 2.3, 2.6, 2.7

Hello all,

This is in reference to Bob Steagall’s review of the getdns API - http://www.vpnc.org/pipermail/getdns-api/2014-January/000229.html

I strongly support the implementation of 2.2 (type aliases for opaque types), 2.3 (const correctness), 2.6 (removing unnecessary headers), and 2.7 (c++ compilation support).

The latter 3 have already been committed in our implementation.  I’d like to make the case for 2.2 as well.  Our structures are essentially opaque types, and in the future, we might see the need to add more of them.  We should keep this approach consistent through the API.  The context is already an opaque type - we have no reason to expose any internals to the user.  This change only requires the addition of two lines in getdns.h:

typedef struct getdns_dict* getdns_dict_t;
typedef struct getdns_list* getdns_list_t;

And changing the exposed functions to use these typedefs.

Thoughts?
“This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is non-public, proprietary, privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law or may be constituted as attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, notify sender immediately and delete this message immediately.”