[getdns-api] getdns-api review - section 2.1

Wiley, Glen gwiley at verisign.com
Thu Jan 30 07:46:30 MST 2014

In addition to cleaner, as Bob mentioned this also gives us stronger type checking which is a solid win!
--
Glen Wiley
KK4SFV

From: <Goyal>, Neel <ngoyal at verisign.com<mailto:ngoyal at verisign.com>>
Date: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 3:45 PM
To: "getdns-api at vpnc.org<mailto:getdns-api at vpnc.org>" <getdns-api at vpnc.org<mailto:getdns-api at vpnc.org>>
Subject: [getdns-api] getdns-api review - section 2.1

Hi all,

This is commentary on section 2.1 in reference to Bob Steagall’s review of the getdns API - http://www.vpnc.org/pipermail/getdns-api/2014-January/000229.html

The suggestion is to use enumerated types where possible.  In particular, getdns_return_t and some context setter function parameters.  An example would be:

getdns_return_t getdns_context_set_resolution_type( getdns_context_t context, uint16_t value );

The spec says the value must be either GETDNS_CONTEXT_RECURSING or GETDNS_CONTEXT_STUB.

I am in favor of this change - definitely for getdns_return_t.  The other functions will be a bit of work, but I think they do result in a cleaner API in the long run.

Thoughts?

“This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is non-public, proprietary, privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law or may be constituted as attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, notify sender immediately and delete this message immediately.”