[getdns-api] Building getdns on CentOS 6.6 from git

Robert Groenenberg robert.groenenberg at broadforward.com
Wed Jun 22 12:23:38 UTC 2016

Hi John,

Thanks for confirming the issue on CentOS 6.6.

On 06/22/2016 12:57 PM, John Dickinson wrote:
> On 21 Jun 2016, at 15:53, Robert Groenenberg wrote:

>> *[rgr at henry [:develop] getdns]$ ./configure --with-libevent=/usr/local
>> *...
>> checking for u_char... yes
>> checking for fcntl... yes
>> checking for ioctlsocket... no
>> checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
>> checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
>> checking for CHECK... yes
>> ./configure: line 16761: syntax error near unexpected token `fi'
>> ./configure: line 16761: `fi'
>>
>> The offending line is an empty if:
>>> if test "x$have_libcheck" = x1; then
>>>
>>> fi
>> (there are a few more of these). I'm no m4 expert, so I don't get why configure is generated like this.
>> Changing this into
>>> if test "x$have_libcheck" = x1; then
>>> echo Getdns rocks
>>> fi
>> makes configure run without errors.
>>
>> The 2nd problem is that PACKAGE_URL is missing from the generated src/config.h. After adding that manually things compile and work fine.
>>

>> So apparently something goes wrong in the autoreconf area. I have:
>> - libtoolize (GNU libtool) 2.2.6b
>> - autoreconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.63
>>
>> Any hints would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Robert
> The if clause should look like this
>
> if test "x$have_libcheck" = x1; then :
>
> fi
>
> Note the extra : or do nothing command.
>
> I see the same on Centos 6.6 but it works fine on CentOS 7. So I guess there is something wrong with /bin/sh or autoconf on 6.6
I found that the EPEL repository provides a version 2.68 of autconf for
CentOS 6 (autoconf268), so I gave that a try with good results: both the
empty if clause and the missing PACKAGE_URL are fixed.
configure.ac currently wants 2.56 as minimum for autoconf, this clearly
needs to be increased to something higher than 2.63 (standard CentOS 6).
It might work with a version between 2.63 and 2.68, but at least 2.68 works.
I'll make a patch for that.

Kind regards,
Robert