[getdns-users] getdns 0.5.0 release candidate

Robert Edmonds edmonds at debian.org
Thu Oct 29 18:06:34 UTC 2015

Willem Toorop wrote:
> Maybe those commands are done in the wrong order.
> How about doing "git checkout v0.5.0" first and then "git pull"?

Yes -- "git pull" will do a "git fetch", but it will only merge into the
current branch.

> Then again "make megaclean; libtoolize -ci; autoreconf -fi" etc.
>
> If that doesn't work, then you might not have the correct
> remote/tracking branch.  What does this command say with you?:
>
> 	git branch -vv |grep v0.5.0
>
> With me is says:
>
> 	* v0.5.0	d691973 [origin/v0.5.0: ahead 1] Bumb versions for 0.5.0 release

"git reflog" will probably reveal exactly what went wrong.

However, I'm *really* confused by the branch naming scheme in the getdns
repository.  It looks like you create a branch named after the release
version number (e.g. "v0.3.3"), but you also create a tag with the exact
same name (e.g., "v0.3.3")?

That means your ref names are ambiguous, which is really bad, because
different git tools use different rules when resolving an ambiguous ref
name :-(  See e.g. this post:

http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/230438/in-git-is-it-a-bad-idea-to-create-a-tag-with-the-same-name-as-a-deleted-branch

If you used separate branch and tag naming schemes (maybe
"branches/v0.5.0" + "tags/v0.5.0", or "branches/v0.5" + "v0.5.0") it
would make it impossible to do something like "git checkout v0.5.0" and
get anything other than a release tag.

--
Robert Edmonds
edmonds at debian.org