[getdns-api] Getting from dicts by subscript operator

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Wed Sep 23 19:37:03 UTC 2015

On 9/23/15, 7:37 AM, "Shane Kerr" <shane at time-travellers.org> wrote:

>Joe,
>
>So I guess that you propose that instead of:
>
>"replies_tree[0][header][ad]"
>
>We would use:
>
>"replies_tree[0]/header/ad"
>
>Or:
>
>"replies_tree/0/header/ad"
>
>I think that the last one is "correct" JSON Pointer syntax if I
>understand the RFC, but I confess that the one above it looks easier to
>read to me. :)

The last one.  I know it's slightly strange to a C programmer, but to a JavaScript programmer, it's not *too* strange, where a['foo'] === a.foo.  The advantage here is that in a getdns wrapper that is treating the results as JSON, you could use an existing json-pointer implementation.  Also, you don't have to worry about specifying the BNF for the query syntax, thinking about the edge cases, and worrying about the security consequences quite as much.

--
Joe Hildebrand