[getdns-users] [getdns-api] getdns-1.1.0 released

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Fri Apr 28 15:18:43 UTC 2017

Hi Willem--

On Thu 2017-04-13 21:19:03 +0200, Willem Toorop wrote:
> We are pleased to announce release 1.1.0 of our library implementation
> of the getdns API.

Thanks for this!  I note that the library's SONAME has been bumped so
it's moved from libgetdns1.so to libgetdns6.so.  This implies a
backward-incompatible API/ABI change.  Most of the changes you mention
here are API additions or bugfixes, and as such aren't
backward-incompatible.

So i think most software that depends on libgetdns can just do a
recompile against the new version and it should be fine.

But if there are more subtle API inconsistencies that clients need to be
aware of but that compilers won't catch automatically (this seems
likely, since getdns's API has lots of enums and flexible dict-style
configuration), then it's nice to provide some sort of porting guide for
clients of the library, so that they don't get burned by doing a
"recompile and pray" upgrade operation.

Does such a doc exist?  as an example from another library, take a look
at https://github.com/jstedfast/gmime/blob/master/PORTING.

What should users (and package maintainers) of be aware of given this
particular backward-incompatible change?

Thanks for all the work on getdns!

       --dkg