[getdns-users] First release candidate for getdns-1.2.1 - but still trouble

Willem Toorop willem at nlnetlabs.nl
Fri Nov 10 16:18:08 UTC 2017

Thanks Andreas,

I think I know what the issue is.  Your /etc/resolv.conf is pointing to
127.0.0.1, and that will be used to do the DNS queries to start Zero
configuration DNSSEC (i.e. lookup of data.iana.org).  However doing a
query to Stubby listening on 127.0.0.1, in turn triggers another lookup
for data.iana.org etc. because it wants to validate.

So there is clearly a chicken and egg problem here that needs to be
resolved.  Unfortunately sending the meta queries with the CD flag
(checking disabled) won't help, because this is translated in stubby to
the dnssec_return_all_statuses extension, which will also trigger Zero
configuration DNSSEC.

I have to rethink the meta queries for Zero configuration DNSSEC, which
is inline with what I'm planning to do at the IETF hackathon (i.e. DANE
authenticating DNS-over-TLS upstreams, which also involves meta-queries
which cannot be done without working upstream!).  So if you don't mind,
I will release 1.2.1 which has a lot of stability fixes anyway, and
create an github issue for this specific problem, to be addressed in
(hopefully) an soon future release.

Thanks for reporting though!

-- Willem