[getdns-users] getdns-1.6.0-beta.1 and stubby-0.3.0-beta.1 released

Willem Toorop willem at nlnetlabs.nl
Fri Dec 20 15:15:56 UTC 2019

Dear all,

We have a first beta release of getdns in which the traditional
autotools based build system has been replaced with a CMake build system.

  * This release has only the build system replaced and has no other
    features or bugfixes.

  * The purpose of this release is to give package maintainers the
    opportunity to test and adopt the build recipes for the packages to
    fit our new build system.

  * Once this has settled and we have had sufficient feedback to
    continue doing future releases with the CMake build system we will
    move to a release candidate for 1.6.0.

The motivation for this change to have Windows be a first class build
platform for getdns thereby increasing the ease of use of the getdns
library in Windows applications. getdns and stubby can now be built
using a native Windows build toolchain, ideally via the Visual Studio
project. This work will also facilitate developing a User Interface for
Stubby on Windows.

For those unfamiliar with CMake we have put together a CMake Quick Start
Guide on how to build getdns with the new build system:
  * see: https://lektor.getdnsapi.net/quick-start/cmake-quick-start/

This release has a Stubby version 0.3.0-beta.1 included, also modified
for the CMake build tools.

link  : https://getdnsapi.net/dist/getdns-1.6.0-beta.1.tar.gz
pgp   : https://getdnsapi.net/dist/getdns-1.6.0-beta.1.tar.gz.asc
sha256: d0b65193178bf902705b4dfc94780267fa3d14801da1b11a74f08422f9e324da

ChangeLog
=========
* 2019-12-20: Version 1.6.0-beta.1
  * Migration of build system to cmake. Build now works on Ubuntu,
    Windows 10 and macOS.
    Some notes on minor differences in the new cmake build:
      * OpenSSL 1.0.2 or higher is now required
      * libunbound 1.5.9 is now required
      * Only libidn2 2.0.0 and later is supported (not libidn)
      * Windows uses ENABLE_STUB_ONLY=ON as the default
      * Unit and regression tests work on Linux/macOS
        (but not Windows yet)

Stubby ChangeLog
* 2019-12-20: Version 0.3.0-beta.1
  * Migration of build system to cmake.