[getdns-api] 0.268 srv_addresses not useful

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Thu Jan 31 11:37:22 MST 2013

On Jan 31, 2013, at 10:27 AM, Phil Pennock <getdns-api-phil at spodhuis.org> wrote:

> On 2013-01-31 at 10:11 -0800, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>> Added the "srv_addresses" name in the top level of a query for SRV
>> records to simplify service discovery processing if that is desired.
>
> As an app programmer, I am highly unlikely use this facility as written,
> because the logic it encodes is not the RFC 2782 default logic to be
> used in the absence of a specific specification for a given application
> protocol.

That was not the intention; the intention was to use the RFC 2782 default logic. And it looks like I did it badly. Thanks for catching this!

> The getdns-api spec returns a single entry at each priority level; the
> RFC 2782 logic tries each entry within each priority band, using weight
> logic to provide some weighted ordering within the band, before moving
> onto the next priority band.

Yep, you're right.

> If a single SRV lookup results in 7
> results across 3 priorities, and all the backends are down, the app
> should be making 7 connection attempts, not 3.

Agree. I'll fix this in the next version to give the whole list pre-sorted by the algorithm so the application can just go through the list. I'll even preview it here first. :-)

--Paul Hoffman