[getdns-api] EDNS options are for server to server communications

Willem Toorop willem at nlnetlabs.nl
Fri Feb 14 02:38:27 MST 2014

op 13-02-14 17:14, Andrew Sullivan schreef:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 03:54:29PM +0100, Willem Toorop wrote:
>> EDNS0 options are for server to server communications.
>
> I don't know where you get that idea.  Saith RFC 6891:

Sorry, wrong choice of words.  I meant to say EDNS0 options are for peer
to peer communications.

>> How about a GETDNS_RETURN_EDNS0_WITH_RECURSIVE_DISALLOWED return code?
>
> I don't think I understand what this is supposed to do.  Are you
> saying you want the EDNS0 options where RA=0, or where RD=1 but RA=0,
> or where RD=0?

Well, the library is either in stub mode (for which setting specific
EDNS0 options makes perfect sense, because we're talking to a peer) or
in recursive mode.

In the last mode, the peer is actually the library itself.  But, since
the communication path doesn't cross a network path, no request packets
are created and setting EDNS0 options for a specific query are thus
meaningless.

-- Willem