[getdns-api] EDNS options are for server to server communications

Andrew Sullivan asullivan at dyn.com
Fri Feb 14 07:40:54 MST 2014

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 10:38:27AM +0100, Willem Toorop wrote:
> Well, the library is either in stub mode (for which setting specific
> EDNS0 options makes perfect sense, because we're talking to a peer) or
> in recursive mode.

But in "recursive mode", you're quite right that the communication
between the nameserver side and the resolver side maybe doesn't need
the EDNS0 options (are you sure?  What about DNSSEC options?).  But
the resolver side is then going to send more queries.  You'll need a
(possibly disjoint) set of EDNS0 options there, too, no?

--
Andrew Sullivan
Dyn, Inc.
asullivan at dyn.com