[getdns-api] getdns API v0.320 review

Wiley, Glen gwiley at verisign.com
Thu Jan 30 07:44:03 MST 2014

Neel and I sat with Bob yesterday and are breaking some of the suggestions out into separate topics for this list (Neel has already sent a few).
--
Glen Wiley
KK4SFV

From: <Steagall>, Robert <rsteagall at verisign.com<mailto:rsteagall at verisign.com>>
Date: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 3:34 PM
To: "getdns-api at vpnc.org<mailto:getdns-api at vpnc.org>" <getdns-api at vpnc.org<mailto:getdns-api at vpnc.org>>
Subject: [getdns-api] getdns API v0.320 review

Hello All,

After the December hackathon, Glen Wiley asked me to review the getdns API, opining that a fresh set of eyes might be useful.  I agreed to take a look, and wrote most of the attached review over my holiday vacation.  Earlier today Neel Goyal asked me to share it with the mailing list, so here it is (after a little bit of polishing).

I approached the review from the perspective of a C++ programmer, thinking about how I might wrap the API in a set of C++ classes.  So naturally, things like const correctness and type safety are important to me.

I’ve gone out on a limb and implemented the changes suggested by my review in the two attached header files. The first header file, getdns_core.h, reflects the recommendations made in Section 2 of my review, while the second header file, vdns_core.h, implements the overall refactoring recommended in Section 3 of my review.

I realize Section 3 proposes some big cosmetic changes, and so I hope it leads to some useful discussions.

Thanks,
--Bob

Bob Steagall
Senior Engineer
rsteagall at verisign.com<mailto:rsteagall at verisign.com>

T: 703-948-4476
12061 Bluemont Way
Reston, VA 20190

VerisignInc.com<http://www.verisigninc.com/>

“This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is non-public, proprietary, privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law or may be constituted as attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, notify sender immediately and delete this message immediately.”