[getdns-api] Python bindings plans

Melinda Shore melinda.shore at nomountain.net
Tue Jun 24 19:37:26 MST 2014

On 6/24/14 6:29 PM, Goyal, Neel wrote:
> Very cool.
>
> For the property setters, is there a python way of saying a setter failed?

Definitely - we can check the type and throw an exception if there's
a violation, and we can throw an exception if there's an API call
failure.

> I don¹t understand the comment about async support.  What do you mean you
> don¹t love having it?

It's mostly a taste issue - I think it's orthogonal to the DNS
functionality, and there are quite a few Python async modules that
people can use to wrap getdns calls, depending on their preferences.
Putting the support in getdns makes me worry a bit about introducing
bugs (and memory leaks), since there's some hair around the Python
thread scheduler and having to move a lot of data onto the heap.  (There
may be C API interfaces to some of the Python async libraries but
I haven't found any yet).

Melinda

--
Melinda Shore