[getdns-users] git rm spec/getdns-0.601.tgz ?

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu Jul 9 19:50:34 UTC 2015

Hi Willem--

On Thu 2015-07-09 03:54:25 -0400, Willem Toorop wrote:

> The API spec was there before the implementation.  It has it's own
> repository which is not public (it is at vpnc.org).  It contains a
> script which creates the index.html specification from a templates (and
> the examples C code) and it also produces the tarball which is
> referenced from the index.html spec.
>
> Although we've also taken over the editor's pen, I still commit
> modifications to the spec on the repository at vpnc.org and use the
> script therein to generate it.

Hm, shipping the data from the spec as a tarball makes it much more
complicated to see the differences between specs as they evolve.  and
the files themselves are not very big; with git, it would probably be
more space-efficient (and easier reading) to store the expanded
directory, rather than the tarball itself.

If we want to include a script to reproduce the tarball so that
spec/index.html can reference the right thing, that'd be quick and
simple to write.  shall i write it?

> The examples from the spec within the tarball are extracted though,
> because I've created some support files around it (Makefile.in and a
> different getdns_core_only.h and getdns_libevent.h) to enable compiling
> the examples with the library.

What does it mean for the library to ship different .h files than the
api's canonical .h files?  this seems like an odd thing to do when
trying to target a specific API, but maybe i'm not understanding the
rationale here.  Can you explain?  I suppose I'm a bit confused about
the api as a distinct project from the implemenation, tbh.

      --dkg