[getdns-api] Spec change request: add GETDNS_APPEND_NAME_TO_SINGLE_LABEL_FIRST constant

Willem Toorop willem at nlnetlabs.nl
Wed Mar 23 21:59:57 UTC 2016

Dear All,

I would prefer to have the getdns stub resolver behave the same as most
system stub resolvers by default with respect to suffix handling.

Most system stub resolvers will try the query with suffixes appended
first, but only if the query is for a single label.

This behaviour does not seem to be reflected in a constant that can be
used with the getdns_context_set_append_name() function in paragraph 8.5
(see https://getdnsapi.net/spec.html#8.5 ).

I suggest to introduce another constant that has the standard system
stub behaviour: GETDNS_APPEND_NAME_TO_SINGLE_LABEL_FIRST
I also suggest to make that the default setting.

The complete description will then become:

	getdns_return_t
	getdns_context_set_append_name(
	  getdns_context        *context,
	  getdns_append_name_t  value
	);

	Specifies whether to append a suffix to the query string before
	the API starts resolving a name. The value is
	GETDNS_APPEND_NAME_ALWAYS,
	GETDNS_APPEND_NAME_ONLY_TO_SINGLE_LABEL_AFTER_FAILURE,
	GETDNS_APPEND_NAME_ONLY_TO_MULTIPLE_LABEL_NAME_AFTER_FAILURE,
	GETDNS_APPEND_NAME_TO_SINGLE_LABEL_FIRST, or
	GETDNS_APPEND_NAME_NEVER. This controls whether or not to
	append the suffix given by getdns_context_set_suffix

Do you agree?

I would appreciate a response on short notice as I am about to do the
1.0beta release very soon (preferable before the DNS-OARC and IETF95).

Thanks,

-- Willem