[getdns-api] opcode

Willem Toorop willem at nlnetlabs.nl
Sat Mar 26 20:01:50 UTC 2016

Op 26-03-16 om 19:59 schreef Tom Pusateri:
> Thanks for all the work on getdns so far. I’m not sure if this is
> the right list so apologies in advance if it is not and please
> direct me to the right place for api questions.

Thank you Tom,

This list is the correct place for this.

> I was looking at using getdns for a test tool and didn’t see a way
> to specify the opcode in the DNS header in a request. In my
> particular case, I am trying to implement a test client for
> draft-ietf-dnssd-push-06. Maybe I overlooked it and thought I would
> check if I missed something. If not, does it make sense to add this
> to the getdns_general() api?

That isn't possible yet.  The extension dict would be the most
appropriate place for this I think.  A "set_header" or maybe even just
a "header" extension key with as its context the things that can be
set with the various pieces of the dns header "id", "qr", "opcode",
"aa", "tc", "rd", "ra", "z", "rcode".

I'll try to make up some text for section 3.7 of the spec;

> Otherwise, I will look at ldns.

With ldns it is possible to create a query packet with ldns_pkt_new(),
alter it's opcode with ldns_pkt_set_opcode(), and send it out with
ldns_send().

With our implementation of the getdns it is also possible to construct
packets (dns messages) but there is no getdns_send() function (yet).
It would be trivial to add though.  I'll bring it up for discussion
with our team...

Thanks,
- -- Willem