[getdns-users] stubby --debug

Sara Dickinson sara at sinodun.com
Wed Jun 21 12:12:10 UTC 2017

> On 21 Jun 2017, at 12:38, A. Schulze <sca at andreasschulze.de> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> running stubby in verbose mode is possible only as compile time option
> "configure --enable-debug-all" ( at least I found nothing other )

In the 1.1 release this is correct. The user guide (https://getdnsapi.net/blog/dns-privacy-daemon-stubby/ <https://getdnsapi.net/blog/dns-privacy-daemon-stubby/>) provides some more information on the exact configure options to use:

Logging/debugging

--enable-debug-daemon If you don't want to see the connection statistics then remove the --enable-debug-daemon option in the configure line above.
--enable-debug-stub If you do want to see very detailed debug information as messages are processed (including connection statistics) then add the --enable-debug-stub option to the configure line above.

and workarounds on how to control the output via re-direction:

The logging is currently crude and simply writes to stderr. (We are working on making this better!)
	• If don't want to see any logging for some reason then include the following on the command line: 2>/dev/null
	• If you build with both stub and daemon logging and want to see only the daemon logging use: 2>&1 >/dev/null | grep 'DAEMON'

> would be easier if that could be a runtime option.

Making this a runtime option is on the TODO list:
https://github.com/getdnsapi/getdns/issues/295 <https://github.com/getdnsapi/getdns/issues/295>

Sara.